How To Create And Connect To A HomeGroup Network?Mark Davis
If you wish to share files, printers, etc. on home and small business networks, then you should create Homegroups. HomeGroup is a feature available exclusively on Windows 7, 8,8.1 and 10. It enables the users to access files and share the same with other computers on the same network. It is very easy to set up.Below are the steps for setting up a HomeGroup:
- Firstly, you need to connect your PCs to a particular home network. If there are many networks available, then connect each computer to a specific one. You may connect the PC via a Wi-Fi network too.
- Now, you need to select which PC will make the HomeGroup. Typically, you can pick any Pc to create the HomeGroup. However, you should keep the following things in mind:
- If your PC is running Windows 8.1 RT then after connecting to HomeGroup, the system will not be able to share data or make a HomeGroup.
- If your PC is running Windows 7 Basic and Starter, then it can connect to Homegroup but will not be able to create it.
- Other Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 versions can not only join but also make HomeGroups.
- Go to Start and click on Control Panel. If using Windows 8 then go to the Charms bar and click on Settings. After that, click on Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, click on Network and Internet. In the next window, select HomeGroup.
- Now, click on the Create a homegroup button next to Cancel. Wait for the HomeGroup Wizard to appear.
- In the Create a Homegroup window, checkmark what you wish to share. You can share pictures, music, videos, printers, and documents. After that, click on the Next button in the bottom right corner.
- In the next prompt, you will be asked to note down a password which is displayed on the screen. You will need this password for adding other PCs to the homegroup. If you misplace the password or do not remember it, then you can access or modify it by going to the Control Panel.
- Now, turn on the other computer system and go to Start. Click on Control Panel and select Network and Internet. After that, click on HomeGroup.
- In the HomeGroup prompt, click on the Join now button next to Close. After doing this, the PC will conduct a scan to find available networks. When the HomeGroup is detected, you will get a Join now option. Now, just type in the password which you noted down earlier. After that, hit Enter.
- After connecting to the HomeGroup, choose what you want to share. You will get the following options: Pictures, Videos, Music, Documents, Printers, and Devices. You can set permissions as shared and not shared. After selecting the permissions, click on the Next button.
- When the PCs are connected to the HomeGroup, you will be able to see the shared data. Just go to Explorer to access the shared libraries.
- You can also choose the shared printer by going to the Print prompt. In the General tab in the Print window, just select a Printer.